Thursday, May 13, 2010

My Response to the Chief

Chief Johnson,

Firstly, let me thank you for taking time to respond to my letter. You
have solidified my respect for you and your position. Also, I'm very
glad that as a fellow cyclist you've got my sympathies at heart.

I cannot disagree with any of the details you've thoughtfully
described in your response. I am glad that BC Police are withholding
blame until this crash is fully investigated. I apologize for basing
my criticisms on preliminary media information.

I can't help but wonder how this tragic crash plays out in the context
of the recent campaign to help prevent future bike/ped deaths by
educating those most vulnerable- the bicyclists and pedestrians. I do
acknowledge that they may indeed be at fault sometimes, but to focus
on increasing the lawfulness of those most at risk seems like we're
ignoring the far more critical problem- the drivers' responsibility.

I don't know about you, but when the BC Police ask me to ride my
bicycle more lawfully it really doesn't make me feel more protected
from injury and death.

When you or I or any other well-intentioned driver injures a cyclist
we carry responsibility regardless of fault. "I didn't see them" or "I
couldn't stop in time" is not a valid excuse. When I ride on multi-use
paths I carry the responsibility of not injuring pedestrians whether
they are walking lawfully or not. Why? Because I am the more dangerous
vehicle. And, what if they are walking erratically or are partly
obscured by the terrain? I must slow down,  give the widest berth
possible and become extra vigilant. It is my responsibility to do so
merely because the pedestrian is more vulnerable. Obvious to me, is
that those operating 4,000 pound vehicles moving at 2-3 times bicycle
speeds have the same responsibilities to bicyclists and pedestrians.
Indeed, they have a greater responsibility because the risk of deadly
injury is so much greater. It's a common rule of respect- protect the
vulnerable. Why are we not harshly reminding drivers of this at every
possible occasion? There is no surprise here- bicyclists and
pedestrians are on our roads and they are us.

When you and I and the BC Police have done everything in our power to
remind drivers of this, then and only then can we remind
pedestrians how to walk safely.

Safe riding.         -Bob Wagner

- Show quoted text -